Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Trumps

O-Kay so first of all I want to say sorry I've missed you all in class. My daughter was sick last week and I came to school for class on Tuesday and got sick before I got there (I'll spare the details). Anyways I have been reading so I would like to post my thoughts sorry if thier late it;s catch-up time!

So rights as trump... I liked this article I had posted before I read it that the title made me think of a card game that's because I am a fan of the game spades, where spades are trump. So while I was reading this I kept thinking that the concepts were similar. I believe what he wsa saying that in order to make utilitarianism work with rights we have to think of rights as trump. The reason he gives is that by doing this we will include not only the majority but the minority opinion as well. Which totally made since to me because I've always believed that rights should extend to everyone but like we have seen through out history, like with his nazi example, that they have not. However, thinking of rights as a trump changes this it includes the minority, perfect. When you play the game of spades you follow suit, in fact you have to play in suit if you have it but once they run out, bam, you hit them with the trump and that's how you take books, that's how you win the game. Maybe my thinking is a little abstract but this is how I pictured this theory.

I'll be back soon with more...

No comments:

Post a Comment