Wednesday, March 25, 2009

the value of rights

What really struck me as interesting was the short example of our rhetoric during the naturalization process as opposed to the Canadian process. Our naturalization process is about being granted the right to exercise our unalienable rights and talking about the rights which one now holds. In Canada there is some rights talk abut the biggest concern for them is more about getting along with those you live around and being involved in the country. When I think about it I am not shocked at all that ours is more about rights than other peoples are because as the author pointed out and i am sure most of us have noticed we talk about what rights we have and don't have pretty much every chance we get. It just struck me as odd how other countries that I always take to be so similar in ideology to the USA would have what would seem to be a very different set of values they hold most important.

No comments:

Post a Comment