Thursday, March 26, 2009

RIghts

When I read Gleann’s chapters 1 and 2, I get the overall picture that in America, people tend to misuse or misunderstand the concept of rights. I also get the fact that people use rhetoric to justify a right. When they said something like, this is my right; I have a right to property therefore this is my property and I can do what I want with it. This, according to Gleann, is a sign of people claim a right that is absolute and that nothing can infringe, even for the greater good of the public or majority. Therefore, people act in a greedy, irrational, uncivilized, and selfish way to gain some power over, at least, some property. I want to call it “personalization,” where a person tries to claim that something that belongs to them and nothing can take it away. John Locke claims that the right to property is a God-given right. Therefore, it is natural for man to own land, which he works hard with his hands. However, it would seems, and Gleann pointed this out too, that nothing in the constitution mentions anything about rights to property, except for in the 14th amendment. However, the 14th amendment only mentions that state cannot deprive people of property without just compensation. It mention nothing about owning property, however makes room for eminent domain.

No comments:

Post a Comment