Monday, March 30, 2009

Glendon

In chapter three, I saw that Glendon was taking a particular right, the right to be let alone, and how she related it to different legal cases. The different cases brought up different interpretations as to what that statement/right means. She shows how during different periods of time, the right to be let alone was interpreted many different ways; interestingly enough it was first known as the right to life. How can the right to life be changed to the right to be let alone? I don't understand how she can see that the right to life can mean that. She uses different examples from how the Supreme Court's decision in different cases have supported the understanding of the right to life. The main argument was by Warren and Brandeis who went fishing for information about how it was actually the "inviolate personality" that was actually being protected (51).

The main question I have is how she got from the right to life all the way to the right to be let alone. I thought I understood the argument but if I don't understand the connection I don't think I can really understand the argument.

No comments:

Post a Comment