Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Raz

And another one...



So Raz is arguing against Mackie and saying there is no way that moral theory can be based on rights becauses it fails to included all that we consider to be moral, such as, what we "ought" to be doing, supererogatious acts, and virtuous pursuit of excellence (185). He tells us that in rights based theory there is no room for the intrinsic value of a collective good and that it's focus is clearly individualistic and leads to real moral loss (186). When reading this I was wondering if he is linking rights and duties to closely. He explains that it's based on benefit but couldn't a right's benefit be that we have no duty to do something that we have the right to make that choice? For example, I have a right to an abortion but I also have a right not to have one. To me the later seems to have no duty attached. Maybe I'm mistaken...

No comments:

Post a Comment