Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Tradeoffs

I don't have a lot substantive to say about this article right now, but I did have one comment. I just wanted to say I think her strategy is really smart. Defending positions like this is really difficult--after all, she notes, much of it goes against our general intuitions. So, she starts by laying out her premises. Then, one by one, she goes through and adds in objections/complications, while always being able to fall back on the premises that she has talked us into believing. The premises all are rather simple, reasonable things to believe. I learned something about this topic area, but more importantly, I learned something about writing and methods of philosophical/argumentative persuasion.

Oh, one thing though--why does she make such a big deal about the difference between a "good" and a "value?" Why does this matter to her argument? Is it just to point out the difference between subjectivity and objectivity?

I'm looking forward to discussing this.

No comments:

Post a Comment