Wednesday, May 6, 2009

My last post :(

My last post in college...crazy.

I'd like to talk about both the moral argument Mike brings up and the concern over distribution in his post. One is difficult to understand at a theoretical level, the other an implementation issue that exists among many.

I just want to comment on the creative brilliance displayed in these chapters. I'm at the point where I can understand the arguments being made, delineating between good and bad ones, and ask (what I take to be) interesting questions. But the kind of work done here takes real creativity and ingenuity. I just don't know how one goes about developing expansive and creative plans of action.

The pharmaceutical proposal is cool. In essence, Pogge argues that we redistribute resources in such a fashion that those that develop drugs get paid based on the effect that drug has on the world. It can be given to others, sold cheaply, and corporations can make money while at the same being humanitarian. What would be an argument against his proposal? Surely there are a number of bureacratic/logistical issues with such a reorganization, and it would be difficult to get folks to sign on, but can someone with more knowledge of pharmaceutical companies explain what their objection would be?

There are a number of reasons in favor: Building good will among the developing nations, job creation, cheaper drugs for the rich. What little I know about patent law tells me that this would, even with positive consequences, be very difficult to maneuver. There are too many people with too much power that have many well-established legal avenues to respond. I'd really like to go over the details of the plan so we can see how he proves that its so widely in self-interest and maybe how that could be spun to get people on board.

I'd also just like to reiterate that many of the argumenets Pogge advances are similar to Shrader-Frechette, just more widespread. They cite the same justifications based on advantage gained through being a member of the social order. I also think its important to note that Pogge emphasizes his claim that many of these social conditions are man made. It isn't genetics or natural disaster; certain groups have been robbed, divided, pushed together, moved entirely, and its a miracle that, given those facts, some cultures have survived.

2 comments:

  1. Ernie, Don't you think your last post should be extremely long?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are more than welcome to comment on any future blogs that I have for my courses.

    ReplyDelete