Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Tyranny of Traffic Laws

I understand that it would be better for all if all of us were to have some sort of agreed upon rules for driving, but I think that these are the sorts of things that should be voluntary, not mandatory. That is, we shouldn’t be fined or otherwise penalized for not doing what’s in the best interest of all. Society forcing me to drive in a particular way (e.g., on a particular side of the road, at a particular speed, stopping and going in particular places and on particular signals, etc.) just so everyone benefits is a violation of my right to autonomy, to make my own choices. Of course, if I ever hurt anyone I should be penalized, but any laws that mandate that I behave in any way beyond not directly harming foists upon me demands that cannot be legitimately foisted upon me by the larger majority. Anyone can choose to do what they want but no one should be coerced to do anything beyond not directly harm.

No comments:

Post a Comment