Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Dagger first argues that reciprocity connects the concept of autonomy to community (principle of fair play). The distinction Sandel seems to draw between his position and others is the attitude towards obligation and coercion; does one need to be coerced? Does one do it for self-interest? Or, like the communitarian, does one cooperate due to the feeling they get from being apart of that community?

Dagger raises an interesting question of how much sacrifice is too much. The one argument I'm not compelled by is his claim that because some communities are bad all must be. Why can't the communitarian apply other conditions to judge communities by much as he draws distinctions between the validity of different kinds of rights?

I enjoyed the second article, but I'd be interested in hearing how he'd respond to someone like Thoreau. I also think its interesting they didnt spend more time talking about what a "general" obligation to follow the law consists of. If any process of reasoning can override that duty, doesn't that deny the existence of that duty? I'm not sure I was convinced of any duty in his argument; that probably means I missed something .

No comments:

Post a Comment