Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Morality or lack of

I think that what he is trying to say in this article or what he stresses as a flaw in utilitarianism is the fact that they ignore or don't acknowledge the moral side of rights. He feels that moral consideration is needed and what is best for the greatest amount of people can sometimes be over-ridden by moral reasoning but there is no room for this in a utilitairian frame and I think that is what he is asking us to change. I liked his ideas about abosolute rights and I agree that we do not have abosolute rights because what might make them absolute today may not be relevant tomarrow, and nothing is guarenteed. Also In response to the last post I think that he is simply using "welfare" as a way to say what is good for the community or the most number of people within it.

No comments:

Post a Comment