Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Chapters 2-3

To me, it's completely obvious that there has been a proliferation of rights and I don't think it is empty rhetoric. Today's society is progressing so well that morality is also increasing, even though there will always be violence and discrimination in the world. This can be exemplified through today's generation. 5o years ago, it would be mind-boggling to think that there would be an upper education course that advocated gay rights. In my LPS course last semester, we extensively studied the gay and lesbian social movement. The fact that we are able to take courses such as these today shows that we are advancing progressively as a society to be more moral and provide more rights for oppressed groups. Even though there are setbacks, such as Proposition 8, there is progress in the mindset of individuals. At least in our current generation, people have become more acceptant of "different individualsl." Things that were once considered tabboo, are now accepted, because we realize the rights of more individuals.

I think this does show that rights are proliferating. However, I agree with some students that maybe these rights are coming just because the laws are being passed and we are forced to abide by them. Are we assimilating into a society where we have to follow these "moral orders?" For instance, what if I (which is not my opinion in the slightesT!!!) was totally unwilling to provide any gays and lesbians equal rights due to MY moral thinking involving religion, or just that I thought it was morally wrong? How then would it be considered moral progression, because everyone has different moral prospectives? Who determines what is moral when our morals and values are so shaped by society, family, religion, culture, etc? I think it's a hard thing to measure whether there is moral progression, since the definition is so debatable.

On the issue that Wellman discusses on affirmative action I am very indecisive. I realize we have a duty as a society to concede reparations to the African American population, but I feel like this is a further point of discrimination. This may be quite a stretch, but aren't we further isolating them from "normal society" by giving them special privileges? I understand the horrible, horrible, horrible things that we did to them in the past, but I still wonder whether acceptance should be considered solely on education. The race description should not be involved whatsoever. I think it is a form of discrimination by having that aspect considered even slightly. However, I am very unknowledgable on this subject and look forward to the discussion and insight in class tomorrow!!! (or today since I'm sadly up late finishing this!)

1 comment:

  1. I was mad at Wellman when I read the section on affirmative action and the possible rebuttals one could use. The problem is his working definition of Affirmative Action. Affirmative Action merely means that if I have two candidates of EQUAL MERIT (not lesser, not different, but equal merit) then I will choose the person who comes from a commonly disenfranchised group; this is how many women came to be accepted into Universities, and how many minority students gained equal access to higher education. I am surprised by Wellman's interpretation.

    ReplyDelete